Health in Common’s approach is collaborative and adaptable. We will work with you to ensure our services meet your needs. For each project, we put together a team with the right mix of knowledge, skills and experience.
Strategic & Operational Planning
We engage stakeholders to assess the current context, clarify direction, identify strategic priorities and outline a plan to achieve goals and objectives.
We create evaluation plans, develop tools to gather information, analyze results, develop communication tools for sharing results and complete full program evaluations.
Strategy Development & Consultation
We engage stakeholders to develop a clear understanding of the issues, review available evidence, assess context, develop shared goals, and identify strategies.
Online Data Collection
We custom design online portals to manage ongoing data collection and gather stakeholder input using secure, web-based platforms.
Training & Capacity Building
We provide tailored training that strengthens your organization’s capacity and ability to:
- plan and evaluate programs
- facilitate workshops and community engagement
- make presentations
- build a healthy organization
Social Return on Investment
We demonstrate your program’s impact, both qualitatively (through stories and testimonials) and quantitatively, by calculating the value of social return for your investment.
Organizational Health Assessment
We develop an assessment tool, tailored to your organizational culture and practices, that can be used to support employee well-being and strengthen organizational effectiveness.
We provide pro-bono services that include facilitating stakeholder engagement, developing a strategic plan or evaluating an initiative.
A to G
H to M
N to R
S to Z
595 Prevention TeamFacilitated multi-stakeholder planning sessions that supported the development of a Regional Harm Reduction Network for Prairie Mountain Health, with a shared vision and mission, and articulated 3 year goals and activities.
Developing a 5-year strategic plan that reflects stakeholder consultation, including peers, partner organizations and funders.
Facilitated participatory evaluation of 595 prevention programming, including focus groups, interviews and surveys, with a final report providing findings and recommendations.
Addictions and Policy Support Branch (Manitoba Government)Facilitated the development of A Culture of Shared Responsibility: Manitoba’s Strategy to Reduce Alcohol Related Harms, including stakeholder engagement, steering committee coordination and strategy recommendations.
Developed common outcome indicators for residential, detox and community-based treatment, as well as a process for gathering follow-up data from clients exiting these programs.
Supporting agencies to build internal capacity for program monitoring and evaluation – including facilitating client focus groups, reviewing and updating data collection processes for ongoing assessments, and building data management systems to track and report on client outcomes.
- Adult Secondary Education Council (ASEC)Facilitated strategic planning and established board meeting participation guidelines for ASEC, an association of adult educators in the province of Manitoba.
- Age-Friendly ManitobaFacilitated the development of plan that included recommended goals, objectives and strategic priorities, based on stakeholder identified strengths, challenges and opportunities.
- Art from the HeartFacilitated planning with staff and board to support and strengthen inner-city or low-income people in their development as artists.
- Asessippi Parkland Economic Development Corporation (APEDC)Analyzed data collected through a business retention and expansion survey, provided a report of the findings, and supported a public meeting to discuss and identify next steps for APEDC.
- Canadian Centre on Substance AbuseConducted an environmental scan of youth drug abuse prevention programs in Manitoba.
- Canadian Public Health AssociationBased on information gathered from stakeholders, developed core competencies and self-assessment tool for front-line workers in HIV-STBBI prevention.
- CancerCare ManitobaConducting an evaluation of Improving First Nations and Inuit Cancer Care in Manitoba, an initiative that strives to improve the continuity of First Nations and Inuit cancer care in a culturally responsive and safe way.
- Child and Family All Nations Coordinated Response Network (ANCR)Completed a participatory evaluation of Differentiated Response Pilot Project, a first point of contact with the Child and Family Services system seeking to bridge the gap and provide support and services to families and children to ensure the safety of children.
- Community Futures Triple R Facilitated a multi-stakeholder meeting to identify the social, cultural, environmental and economic benefits of establishing local childcare facilities. A regional committee was formed to support local child care facility start-ups.
- Community Futures West Interlake Inc.Conducted a review of administration, operations and management of community facilities in West Interlake, focusing on four municipalities. Completed review was used to initiate discussion on opportunities to collaborate and be more cost effective.
- Conseil de Développement Economique des Municipalités Bilingues du Manitoba (CDEM)Facilitated a process for the Community Development Corporations from Village of St-Pierre, RM of DeSalaberry, RM of LaBroquerie, RM of Ritchot and the Town of Ste-Anne to identify opportunties for collaboration.
- Daniel McIntyre St. Matthews Community Association (DMSMCA)Worked with DMSMCA to develop a document to guide the small grant decision making process.
- Downtown BIZGuided by a multi-sector steering committee interested in a healthy and safe downtown Winnipeg, facilitated a process to develop a strategy for addressing alcohol related harms in the downtown area.
- Elmwood Community Resource Centre and Area Association (ECRCAA)Worked with ECRCAA to develop an evaluation framework and logic model based on a core programs and service review.
- Food Matters ManitobaFacilitated a focus group for the Our Food, Our Health, Our Culture (OFHC) program, with the Steering Committee of the North End Winnipeg project site, to help create a work plan for the North End OFHC coordinator.
Green Action CentreGathered information from stakeholders to assess understanding and satisfaction with Green Action Centre’s services, and led a strategic planning process with board and staff. A stakeholder engagement report and strategic plan (including draft work plan) was provided.
Developed a logic model and evaluation plan for Workplace Commuter Options
Supported development of evaluation plan and monitoring tools for tracking Waste Reduction Road outcomes.
- Healthy Living and Populations (Manitoba Government)Reviewed implementation of Healthy Workplace Campaign, including assessment of engagement, reach and level of campaign awareness. A framework for ongoing evaluation (process and outcome) was developed.
- Healthy Together Now (HTN)Developed an online reporting system that gathers information at the community level and provides reports at the regional and provincial level.
- Immigrant Women’s Association of Manitoba (IWAM)Facilitated strategic planning to determine how IWAM could most effectively utilize existing resources to provide women with support, information and referrals.
- Jewish Child and Family ServiceFacilitated a process with staff and board to develop a strategic plan, and helped create a work plan to implement.
Ka Ni KanichihkCompleted an evaluation of Aboriginal Women Responding to the HIV/AIDS Crisis (AWRAC), compiling data, facilitating a focus group and providing a final report.
Conducted an evaluation of Oshkabaywis, a 3-year mentorship program for Aboriginal female youth involved in, or associated with youth street gangs and the criminal justice system, which included focus groups, interviews and a review of program statistics in order to provide a final report
Facilitated a participatory evaluation of the All Children Matter (ACM) conference, a public awareness forum on the sexual exploitation of children in Manitoba.
- Kelsey Recreation Commission, Northern Health Region & The Town of the PasFacilitated a participatory evaluation of One Step Ahead, a diabetes prevention initiative delivered through a partnership with the Northern Regional Health Authority, Kelsey Recreation Commission and the Town of the Pas. Support included utilization of findings
- Laurel CentreDeveloping an online data collection system that aligns data collection across the organization and generates reports, replacing a system requiring manual collation and calculations.
- Manitoba Association of Newcomer Serving Organizations (MANSO)Supported the creation of MANSO through the facilitation of merger discussions between Manitoba Immigrant and Refugee Settlement Sector Association (MIRSSA) and Manitoba English as an Additional Languages Organizations (MEALO).
- Manitoba Centre for Health PolicyDeveloped and facilitated a stakeholder engagement process supporting the development of a CIHR proposal.
- Manitoba EAL Organizations (MEALO)Facilitated strategic planning for MEALO, a not-for-profit organization supporting English as additional language service for providers across the province of Manitoba.
- Manitoba First Nations Diabetes CommitteeFacilitated a process to identify shared priorities, based on Manitoba’s First Nations Diabetes Strategy, that will strengthen linkages, communication and information sharing.
- Manitoba First Nations Food Security NetworkIn partnership with Four Arrows Regional Health Authority, facilitated an evaluation of the Manitoba First Nations Food Security Network and its support of the Manitoba First Nation Food Security Coordinator who connects with communities and Aboriginal Diabetes Initiative (ADI) workers to create community based food security projects and promote food security in the community.
- Manitoba Immigrant and Refugee Settlement Sector Association (MIRSSA)Facilitated strategic planning with MIRSSA membership, and supported the development of subsequent work plan.
- Manitoba Nurses UnionCompleted a participatory evaluation on the Canadian Culture and Communication for Nurses.
- Manitoba Theatre CentreFacilitated the development of a strategic plan, with considerable stakeholder consultation and board engagement.
- MFL Occupational Health CentreIdentified evaluation questions, indicators and data collection methods for a train the trainer program that provides occupational health and safety information to newcomers in their first language.
Mount Carmel ClinicDeveloped an evaluation framework for the Multicultural Wellness Program, a program that provides outreach, education, counseling and social support to assist newcomers to integrate into the community.
Facilitated a participatory evaluation of SOS Support Group, a weekly drop-in program for solvent users that has been offered in various locations since 2004.
- Neighbourhoods Alive!Evaluated the Localized Improvement Fund for Tomorrow (LIFT) 4-year pilot phase to assess community participation and engagement; consistency between projects and alignment with NA! priorities; complementary (leveraged) funding; community capacity building; and overall program strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities for improvement.
New Directions (for Children, Youth, Adults and Families)Developed and delivered a series of training days to build the evaluation capacity of staff and develop program specific evaluation plan for TERF, Alternative Solutions, Empowering People in Community (EPC), RAP and/or My Home.
Using pre and post-program assessments, focus groups and project documentation to track outcomes related to knowledge, skills and behaviour change resulting from participation in Project Empower – a new project that works with young women with FASD involved in the criminal justice system.
Conducted a program review to identify gaps and clarify Supported Apartment Living’s (SAL) practice model and performance measurement framework. Communication tools for sharing SAL’s approach to service delivery with stakeholders were developed.
- Nine Circles Community Health CentreDeveloped a database and data collection tools to enable NCCHC to monitor and evaluate their Sexual Health Assessment Training program.
- Nisichawayasihk Family & Community Health CentreDeveloped a Community-driven Health Impact Assessment (CdHIA) tool to assess potential impact of proposed decisions on their community’s health. Facilitators were trained on the CdHIA process, and conversations with a cross section of community members defined broad indicators of what makes a healthy community.
- North End Food Security NetworkAssisted with a participatory evaluation of the Greening Project, engaging community members in a facilitated discussion about the development of local food standards for North End serving organizations.
- North End Women’s CentreWorking closely with NEWC, facilitated a process with staff and board to develop strategic priorities and benchmarks.
North Point Douglas Women’s CentreEvaluated the volunteer, counselling and safety programs, including developing accessible data collection tools, such as a community safety survey, youth outreach worker tracking forms, volunteer tracking forms, and a counselling client satisfaction survey. Interviews and focus groups were facilitated to collect data on program effectiveness.
See what North Point Douglas Women’s Centre has to say about our approach to evaluation.
- Northern HealthCreated evaluation tools, analyzed data and provided reports for 3-year Tobacco Tackle Demonstration Project; working with youth, grades four to eight, to develop peer-led educational initiatives targeting smoking cessation.
- Northern Healthy Foods Initiative (NHFI)Worked with Management Committee and NHFI partners to measure increased community capacity to sustain food security initiatives and determine the degree to which NHFI’s intended outcomes were being achieved. This involved stakeholder interviews, extensive document review, community interviews, story gathering and a community sustainability assessment process.
- OCD Centre ManitobaFacilitated strategic planning with OCD Centre Manitoba, a non-profit organization that provides support, education and information.
- Partners in Planning for Healthy LivingCompleted an evaluation of the 2012/13 Youth Health Survey, engaging participating schools, RHA partners and other members of the working group to better understand the successes and challenges of YHS implementation.
Physical Activity Coalition of Manitoba (PACM)Facilitated development of the Manitoba Physical Activity Action Plan, engaging membership through an online survey, focus groups and a planning summit.
Based on the new Manitoba Physical Activity Action Plan, developed a multi-level evaluation plan that measures the outcomes resulting from PACM’s activities and monitors PACM’s contribution to established long-term impacts.
- Portage Community Revitalization Corporation (PCRC)Worked with PCRC to develop and implement and evaluation of the Momentum: Economic Security for Women in Portage la Prairie project.
- Portage Family Abuse Prevention CentreFacilitated a participatory evaluation of the Harmony Project; a project addressing violence against women and girls in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba.
- Provincial Suicide Prevention Leadership CommitteeWorked with the Provincial Suicide Prevention Leadership Committee to develop and facilitate an open space process that guided planning related to the Framework for Suicide Prevention Planning in Manitoba.
- Rainbow Resource CentreCompleted an evaluation of Totally Outright, a gay men’s sexual health leaders program and AIDS Community Action Program (ACAP) funded projects, including Gender Journeys, Towel Talk and Peer Project for Youth.
- Recreation Connections ManitobaEvaluated the After the School Bell Rings, a pilot program engaging 6 – 12 year olds in physical activity and healthy living practices after school.
- Red River CollegeEvaluating Transforming Futures, a program that welcomes students with intellectual disabilities (ID) and significant challenges to the post secondary setting; engaging students, parents and guardians, faculty and staff, and partners to understand the successes and challenges of the pilot program.
- Rehabilitation Centre for ChildrenFacilitated an evaluation of Relate Program and Stepping Out on Saturdays, a respite program for FASD affected children.
- Rossbrook HouseFacilitated strategic planning process, ensuring alignment with organizational mission to provide a safe place for children and youth to belong, play, learn and become.
- Rural Municipality of CartierFacilitated a participatory evaluation of municipal recreation needs, culminating in recommendations and proposed timelines for next steps.
- Sage HouseFacilitated a participatory evaluation of the Sex Workers Addressing Treatment (SWAT) Program.
- Schools on Board Engaged participants – students and teachers – in the evaluation of the short- and long-term impact of Schools on Board, a national field program of ArticNet that brings high school students and teachers from across Canada ‘on board’ the Arctic research vessel, CCGS Amundsen.
- Seniors’ GuideGathered information about programs and services throughout the province and updated in the Manitoba Seniors’ Guide.
- Seven Oaks Settlement ServicesWorked with staff to simplify the evaluation framework and data collection process for reporting to funders.
- Society for Manitobans with DisabilitiesSupported the evaluation of the SMD Self-Help Clearinghouse and developed data collection tools.
Summer Institute on Program EvaluationCollaborate to deliver a week long training that brings together community-based practitioners and university students to learn and share information about evaluation for improved planning and delivery.
For more information, visit the Summer Institute website
Sunshine HouseDetermined the degree to which recreation programming for solvent users adapted to participants’ needs and interests to offer fun activities that enhanced wellbeing and quality of life. Evaluation methods included tracking activities, gathering feedback from staff, volunteers and participants and using a pre and post questionnaire to assess impact on physical health, self-confidence and social supports.
Check out what Sunshine House has to say about our approach to evaluation.
- Tamarack Recovery CentreFacilitated strategic planning, including working with the Board of Directors to revise the vision and mission statement.
Tides CanadaSupported the development and implementation of an evaluation of the Northern Manitoba Food, Culture & Community Fund collaborative funding model.
Developed layout and design of roll-up report sharing stories from the Northern Manitoba Food Culture and Community Fund: a collaborative funding food security efforts in Northern MB.
Town of ChurchillAfter facilitating the development of the Churchill Sustainability Action Plan in March 2012, supported the Town of Churchill with Action Plan implementation, including convening the steering committee, supporting funding applications, and completing a business and community survey.
See what Churchill has to say about Health in Common and the support provided for planning.
- United Nations Platform for Action Committee (UNPAC)Facilitated a participatory evaluation of UNPAC’s Women’s Mentorship Project.
- Volunteer ManitobaCompleted a participatory evaluation of the Community Service Partnership for Newcomers (C-SPIN) and provided analysis for a needs assessment.
- Wabowden Community CouncilDeveloped a Community-driven Health Impact Assessment (CdHIA) tool to assess potential impact of proposed decisions on their community’s health. Facilitators were trained on the CdHIA process, and conversations with a cross section of community members defined broad indicators of what makes a healthy community.
- West Broadway Youth OutreachFacilitated the evaluation of Dreams Career Mentorship Program.
- West Broadway Community OrganizationFacilitated a process with staff to develop a healthy organizational assessment tool, with indicators that reflects the expectations of staff and uniqueness of WCBO.
- West Central Women’s Resource CentreSupporting implementation of strategic plan, including development of operational plan, the role of governance in implementation and hands-on training with staff resulting in program and evaluation plans.
- Wildlife HavenDeveloped a strategic plan informed by the input of board members, volunteers and staff; the plan provides guidance to Wildlife Haven as it relocates to a new wildlife hospital and education centre.
- Winnipeg Folk FestFocused on the next three years of operation (2016 – 2019), facilitated the development of a strategic plan grounded in stakeholder feedback and opportunities and challenges in the current environment.
- Winnipeg FoundationEngaging funded organizations, Winnipeg Foundation staff and board, and donors in an evaluation of the Nourishing Potential funding model.
Women’s Health ClinicTracking participation, reach, and project outputs and outcomes, to assess the degree to which Body Positive Project objectives are met. Body Positive incorporates a Sources of Strength peer-based suicide prevention program with a comprehensive school health approach to build community support for body positive messaging.
Working with WHC to finalize new organizational strategic plan and develop an organizational evaluation plan.
Evaluated therapeutic abortion services, in an effort to increase efficiencies while maintaining the highest standard of care and improving the client experience.
The eNewsletter contains learning opportunities and resources.